Saratoga's First Hundred Years

By: Cunningham, Florence R. (editor)

Price: $30.00

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Very Good+


B&W Illustrations; This book is in Very Good+ condition and is lacking a dust jacket. The spine ends and corners of the book covers have some light bumping and wear. The text pages are clean and bright. "This area was earlier inhabited by the Ohlone Native Americans. European settlers imposed a displacement and created a settlement of what is now Saratoga in 1847, when William Campbell (father of Benjamin Campbell, the founder of nearby Campbell, California) , constructed a sawmill about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) southeast of the present downtown area. An early map noted the area as Campbell's Gap. In 1851 Martin McCarthy, who had leased the mill, built a toll road down to the Santa Clara Valley, and founded what is now Saratoga as McCarthysville. The toll gate was located at the present-day intersection of Big Basin Way and 3rd St. , giving the town its first widely used name: Toll Gate. In 1867 the town received a post office under the name of McCarthysville." (from Wikipedia)

Title: Saratoga's First Hundred Years

Author Name: Cunningham, Florence R. (editor)

Categories: Californiana,

Edition: 1st Edition; 1st Printing

Publisher: San Jose, CA, Saratoga Historical Foundation: 1967

Binding: Hardcover

Book Condition: Very Good+

Seller ID: A38933

Keywords: Californiana Florence R. Cunningham Saratoga, CA San Francisco Bay Area Californiana,